Raw Carrot Cake with Coconut Icing
Carrot Cake! This is one type of cake that has always made me happy. Even as a kid, carrot cake was my favorite. (Ya, I was one of those weird kids that liked carrot cake and broccoli!) This recipe is very reminiscing of the slices. Ok, so it's not really a cake, it's more like a Carrot Cake square. But, it's pretty darn decadent, healthy, and tastes awesome!
What You'll Need
Raw Carrot Cake:
4 cups grated carrots
1 cup of Medjool dates, pitted
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
2 Tbsp organic apple butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. vanilla powder
1/2 lemon, juice
1 cup organic unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup raw organic walnuts
organic coconut oil for greasing your 9x9 pan
1/2 cup raw whole cashews, soaked 4 hours or overnight
2 Medjool dates, pitted
1/2 Tbsp raw unfiltered honey
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup water
shredded coconut for topping
lemon zest for topping
walnut pieces for topping
What You'll Need To Know
Raw Carrot Cake:
1. Use a food processor to grate the carrots, remove carrots and set aside.
2. Place your dates, ground flax seeds, apple butter, cinnamon and lemon juice in a food processor and process until blended. Add the coconut and walnuts and process until the walnuts are coarsely chopped.
3. Add the carrots back to the food processor, process just enough to blend.
Press your finished mixture into a greased 9x9 pan and refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.
1. Process the cashews, dates, agave, lemon juice and vanilla extract in a food processor until smooth. Add the water until desired consistency of icing is reached.
2. Spread icing on carrot cake, top with coconut, lemon zest, and walnut pieces.
Recipe makes 12 squares.