Kale Cara Cara Salad with Hemp Seeds
I can't stop eating kale lately. Raw kale. We're buying four huge bunches each week, and eating every last bit. If you see me in Whole Foods, I'm the girl with a cart full of kale. (Really.) Anyway, these green juices (like my kaleaide green juice) and salads are responsible for the insane amount of kale we're eating. I've always been a kale lover--in a salad or blended up as a juice. Aside from the kale itself, we've put chopped celery, carrots and cucumber in, then we tried diced green apples, and now that we're in the peak of citrus season, chopped blood oranges or Cara Cara oranges. Cara Cara oranges...they're mildly tart, sweet and absolutely delicious. More so than any other citrus, in my opinion. We love them, especially in this kale salad.
When making this salad in the past, I've used two different dressings - one being my basic lemon vinaigrette and the other is a balsamic vinaigrette, which you can make really easily by substituting the lemon juice for balsamic vinegar (or even fig balsamic vinegar) in that recipe. Both dressings really compliment the kale and oranges.
What You'll Need
1 bunch kale (green or tuscan, preferably) 1 cara cara oranges 1 tablespoon hemp seeds lemon vinaigrette or balsamic vinaigrette 1 radish, thinly sliced goat cheese crumbles (optional)
Technically, hemp seeds are really not seeds at all. They are actually a fruit. Tiny and round, sort of like itty bitty sunflower seeds, they have a pleasing, mild and slightly nutty flavor. Unlike sunflower seeds they aren’t crunchy but instead are a bit more like sesame seeds, but even softer in texture. Hemp seeds sort of taste like pine nuts, but have an even mellower, milder flavor.
Begin by rinsing the kale and chopping it into bite-sized pieces. Slice the cara cara oranges about 1/2 inch thick, then cut the rind and pith away from each slice. Cut each slice into quarters, then toss with the kale and vinaigrette. Sprinkle in the hemp seeds and radish, and garnish with goat cheese. Serves 3-4.
If you aren't a citrus fan, then just add any fruit or veggies you like. Make sure to chop the kale into bite-sized pieces, so that you can chew them easily.
What To Love
- This salad is full of flavor and densely packed with nutrients.
- Hemp seeds are an incredible vegan source of biologically available and easily digested protein. For those who are allergic to soy, hemp seeds are a great vegan alternative. Hemp seeds contain all 10 essential amino acids.
- Kale is low in calorie, high in fiber and has zero fat. It is also high in iron, Vitamin ,A, C, and K; it is also a powerful antioxidants.
- 1 bunch kale (green or tuscan, preferably)
- 1 cara cara oranges
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- lemon vinaigrette or balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 radish, thinly sliced
- goat cheese crumbles (optional)
- Begin by rinsing the kale and chopping it into bite-sized pieces.
- Slice the cara cara oranges about 1/2 inch thick, then cut the rind and pith away from each slice. Cut each slice into quarters, then toss with the kale and vinaigrette.
- Sprinkle in the hemp seeds and radish, and garnish with goat cheese. Serves 3-4.