It was several years ago when I found spiralizing forkfuls of what was an unlikely pasta alternative, shortly after discovering that the gluten version would be my arch nemesis. Zucchini as noodles?
I not only like but love zucchini but as a noddle?
Even for me, this was really tough to wrap my head around. Now looking back at this very first moment of spiralizing zucchini, taking that first bite, and as my eyes widened, I couldn't believe how brilliant the idea of zoodles was. So began my love affair with this soul-satisfying dish.
Inspired by the foodie fixations of Anthony Bourdain, travel has always been a constant in my life, and even more so as an adult. With all of my travel, food is the main theme and source around where I go, and the experiences I have. This recipe was inspired by a dish I once had in Italy. Clearly, that dish was nowhere as healthy as this, and I'm sure it didn't involve nutritional yeast, avocado, and raw zucchini. But, for the sake of searching for a gluten-free, keto-friendly alternative, this dish is reminiscent of my travels. Truth be told, I think you’ll find this dish to be as satisfying as it is transportive. Like a passport on a plate.
Zoodles in Avocado-Parsley Sauce
Gluten-Free, Keto-Friendly, Plant-Based
Recipe Makes 2 Servings
What You'll Need
- 1 Medium to Large Zucchini
- 2 tbsp pine nutes
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 Hass avocado
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 cup Parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp yellow mustard seed, ground
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
What You'll Need
- In a high-speed blender or food processor add all sauce ingredients, except the parsley, and blend on the lowest setting until smooth.
- While the sauce is being blended, zoodle one zucchini and slice cherry tomatoes.
- In a large mixing bowl, add zoodles, tomatoes, parsley and sauce and mix together.
- Plate and top with pine nuts.
Valerie is a San Francisco native who loves overall health and wellness. She content creator and recipe developer, helping brands in the Fitness, Health & Wellness space tell their stories through gluten-free, mostly plant-based food, life + travel.