The other day I was browsing through some photos from our trip to Thailand last year. During our travels around Southeast Asia, we pretty much gorged ourselves while savoring a wide variety of dishes. It is so hard to control yourself when there are so many amazing, yet fascinating flavors, shapes, and colors to try and that was our excuse to overeat. After seeing all of our food photos, this morning I was inspired to whip up one of my favorite breakfast dishes using some thai flavors: Spicy Scrambled Eggs with Zucchini. This Thai-inspired dish is very simple and ready in just 15 mins.
What You'll Need
3 eggs 1/4 medium onion, chopped 4 garlic cloves, diced 1 medium zucchini, chopped 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil 1 teaspoon fish sauce 1 teaspoon red chili flakes Garnish: 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, 1 green onion chopped, cilantro leaves
In a skillet, I heated the oil, and added the onions, cooking until they were translucent. I added the garlic, zucchini, chili flakes, sesame seed oil and fish sauce and cook until the zucchini is tender. In a bowl, I beat the egg and added to the pan and cook them until scrambled. Very simple.
After my eggs were creamy, I plated the scramble eggs and garnish with green onion, sesame seeds and cilantro.
On occasion when I am in the mood for a quick and easy meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner, I will prepare a batch of these scrambled eggs. The fish sauce brings all the flavors together, and the salty taste is the reason why this recipe doesn't call for salt.
What To Love
- Apart from being made into a delicious and savory dish, zucchini is beneficial for your health in a variety of ways, thanks to the vitamins and minerals contained in even a small serving of this vegetable. It is rich in magnesium, folate and fiber.
- Crushed red pepper is a great addition to a meal and can help reduce inflammation.
- Sesame seeds are an excellent source of copper, a very good source of manganese, and a good source of magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, iron, zinc, molybdenum, and selenium.
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- Garnish: 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, 1 green onion chopped, cilantro leave
- In a skillet, heat the oil. You'll want to add the onions and cook until they are translucent.
- Add the garlic, zucchini, chili flakes, sesame seed oil and fish sauce and cook until the zucchini is tender.
- Reduce the flame and pour the whisked eggs into the hot skillet. The eggs will begin to cook immediately, gently stir the eggs as you would for regular scrambled eggs. Scrape the eggs from the bottom and sides of the pan as the eggs begin to cook and get creamy. As soon as the eggs are creamy, turn the flame off.