After a few weeks of warm weather, it looks like winter is finally here in California. This chilly weather has me craving soup more than usual. It's no secret that I'm obsessed with soups. And if there is one vegetable that I've been enjoying this winter is Cauliflower--soups, salads, roasted. (I'll have more recipes soon!)
The other day while grocery shopping at Whole Foods, a soup caught my eye--Creme Cauliflower soup. I personally love cauliflower since it is a very non fussy vegetable, I knew I was up for the challenge once I saw that there was wheat listed in the ingredients. I headed home and decided that Cauliflower soup is what I would make for dinner. Perfect for a chilly night in.
Without a recipe, and just a few ingredients I would have to improvise. To my surprise it turned out simply delicious.
What You'll Need
1/2 yellow onion, chopped 3 shallots 6-8 garlic cloves 1 roma tomato 1 (16-ounce) Organic Cauliflower 1/2 cup white wine 1 1/2 cups unsweetened Almond Milk 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt 1 tablespoon juice and 1 teaspoon zest from 1 lemon, divided 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley 1 tablespoon Safflower Oil 3 cups water 1 tablespoon rosemarry 1 teaspoon pepper Garnish: Rosemarry, Parsley leaves, Poppyseeds
I love using Safflower Oil since it's great for cooking in high heat.
This Cauliflower soup is showy enough for your next dinner party but takes less than 50 minutes from emptying the grocery tote bags to steamy sipping. The best part is that this soup has less the calories and fat.
Gluten-Free Creme of Cauliflower Soup
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 shallots
- 6-8 garlic cloves
- 1 roma tomato
- 1 (16-ounce) Organic Cauliflower
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon juice and 1 teaspoon zest from 1 lemon, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Garnish: Rosemary, Parsley leaves, Poppy seeds
- First, you'll want to cut up the Cauliflower into small pieces and set aside. Next, you'll want to dice up half a medium onion, three shallots, and 6-8 garlic cloves.
- In a large tall pot, heat up a tablespoon of safflower oil on a medium heat, cooking the yellow onions, shallots, and garlic, stirring often, until softened and light golden, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in white wine, salt, cauliflower, parsley, rosemary and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Add in water and reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until very tender, about 30 minutes. Working carefully, use an immersion blender or traditional blender (allowing steam to escape) to purée soup until very smooth; stir in lemon juice. In a small bowl, combine rosemary, thyme, poppy seeds and lemon zest. Pour soup into soup bowls, top with mixture and serve.