I love soup. Warm, comfy and healing for the soul. Lately, I've been making lots of soups since winter has now arrived here in California after weeks of endless sunshine and 70 degree weather. And, there is nothing better on a soggy, rainy day than a creamy warm soup to warm the heart. Which is what sparked the idea for this soup: Carrot Ginger Bisque. A smooth bisque of carrots and sweet potatoes with mellow notes of coconut milk and a tart ginger kick is perfect for cold days. This soup is simple enough to whip up for a weeknight meal.
What You'll Need
7-8 Carrots, peeled and sliced 1 Tomato 1 Medium Sweet Potato. peeled and sliced 1/2 Onion, chopped 4 Garlic cloves, diced 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger 3 Cups water 1 tablespoon oil 1 teaspoon curry powder 1 cup coconut milk or almond milk
Salt, to taste Garnish: Toasted Coconut Chips The blend of these ingredients create a velvety mouthful of flavor. The natural sweetness of the carrots and sweet potato is complemented by the tart kick of ginger and balanced by the coconut milk.
The only extra tools you'll need is either a blender or an immersion hand blender. When blending hot liquids remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions.
Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.
This soup gets its wonderfully creamy texture from purèed carrots and sweet potatoes rather than heavy cream and butter.
What's so good about this soup? Not your ubiquitous carrot soup, this dish possesses layers of flavor that complement its healing properties. Carrots and sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene, which helps promote vision and support a healthy immune system. They are also a good source of fiber. This soup is simple enough to whip up, making this a wonderfully nutritious beginning to a meal or a perfect lunch.
- 7-8 Carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tomato
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato. peeled and sliced
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 Cups water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup coconut milk or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Salt, to taste
- Garnish: Toasted Coconut Chips
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add in the tomato, followed by sweet potato, carrots, ginger, and curry powder; cook 2 minutes. Add water and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender; stir in salt.
- Pour half of soup in a food processor; pulse until smooth. Repeat procedure with remaining soup.