Who doesn’t love an everyday drink that tastes great and can encourage overall health at the same time? Kombucha is just that.
When you learn that it is a fermented tea made from a culture known as ‘scoby,’ it doesn’t sound like a particularly appetizing treat. But this fizzy drink is actually unusually delicious and packs health benefits that are nothing to scoff at.
So, what is Kombucha exactly?
Kombucha is a fermented beverage that is created during a very precise process involving tea, sugar, and a scoby (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast). As the name indicates, the scoby, which is also known as the mother, is a living home for bacteria and yeast which help in the fermenting process. After about seven to ten days, what results is a naturally carbonated fermented drink with probiotics, enzymes, and other beneficial nutrients.
Known for its many health benefits, kombucha is a fantastic substitute to sodas or alcohol. Even though kombucha is made with sugar, the end product will only have a small amount remaining.
People have been integrating kombucha as part of a healthy lifestyle to help improve digestion and gut health, clear up skin issues, and even as a quick energy booster. Some of my favorite flavors of kombucha include grape, lavender, mint chlorophyll, and ginger.
With kombucha only gaining momentum in mainstream health, it’s worth giving it a try this fall and having a fresh way to stay hydrated and feel your best!
Ready to take a sip? Here are ten reasons to drink Kombucha:
- It tastes like sweet, fizzy sunshine and is extremely refreshing.
- It makes for a great afternoon pick-me-up.
- Craving something sweet? Kombucha is the balanced way to satisfy a sweet tooth.
- It helps to support a healthy gut and promotes good digestion.
- It charges up your immune system to help keep it strong.
- The tea contains powerful antioxidants that help protect the body.
- It can be used as a mixer for cocktails and as a rejuvenating brew the next morning.
- Alternatively, you can opt out of alcohol altogether and swap for a fun glass of kombucha instead.
- If you don’t feel like buying it, you can always opt to make it yourself.
- There are so many different flavors to try that it never gets boring!
Do you drink Kombucha? What's your favorite brand? Comment here!
Valerie is a San Francisco native who loves overall health and wellness. She content creator and recipe developer, helping brands in the Fitness, Health & Wellness space tell their stories through gluten-free, mostly plant-based food, life + travel.