Matcha Hemp Energy Balls
Have you heard, Matcha is the new "it" superfood this year. It's been recently making waves in the health and beauty worlds because the green tea leaves are believed to be high in antioxidants.
Even though regular steeped green tea is considered healthy because the leaves contain antioxidants, water can only extract a small about of the leaves' nutritional properties. With matcha, one consumes the entire leaf, in a powdered form, making it exponentially more healthful. With such an antioxidant punch, it's no wonder that matcha just is the new superfood.
There are so many different ways to incorporate matcha in your diet, aside from drinking it. You're going to love this Matcha Hemp Energy Ball recipe. It's a perfect energy boosting snack or a pre-workout boost.
Here’s why keeping these energy balls readily available in your fridge will keep you feeling filled and fueled up for your day.
- Matcha is super high in antioxidants
- Hemp seeds have a ton of potassium, contains the essential fatty acids we need to get from food, and are a complete protein as they have every essential amino acid. It’s also high in fiber and omega-3 and 6. OK so basically hemp is amazing.
- Nut and seed butters have the heathy kind of fats we need to fill us up, not out!
- Oats have the B vitamins we need for energy, fiber to keep us feeling full and keep things “moving along” properly, and helps stabilize blood sugar levels. No thanks to those nasty sugar spike and slumps!
- Dates provide a good dose of magnesium, potassium, and fiber. They’re also great for pregnant women; some studies show if consumed regularly in the last 4 weeks it can potentially decrease chances of an induction and augmentation of labor.
- Honey is just good. It never goes bad. The raw honey I used was from South Africa (you do not need to use African honey!). Yes, I am that person that manages to find a farmers market while vacationing in South Africa and brings home their local honey.
What You'll Need
2 TB matcha powder
1/4 cup chopped dates, packed (about 7 dates)
1 cup nut or seed butter**
1/3 cup oats
2-3 TB raw honey or brown rice syrup**
1 tsp cinnamon
3 TB hemp hearts/seeds
What You'll Need To Know
Combine all ingredients except the hemp hearts in a food processor. Pulse until all ingredients have formed together nicely, it will look chunky but well combined.
Form into small balls and roll delicately in hemp hearts.
Store in the fridge or freezer to enjoy anytime!
** For vegan use brown rice syrup. Depending on how sweet you want it, adjust tablespoons accordingly. I used 2.
** I combined both almond & peanut butters.
Recipe makes 12 balls.
The Matcha Hemp Ball recipe was originally published in AskLeahRenee.com